Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cornwallis House (1962 or 63)

In the centre is Mr Falls. He was lovingly referred to as Jammy Falls. I've never forgotten how while taking detention class he would call the Anglo-Indian boys 'Anglo-Indian bastards'. Later, when I recalled this, I wondered how a person earned a living working among a community that he was so bitterly against! Years later I understood it better when I happened to work with a relative of Mr Falls. He hated the British because he can recall how his father was not allowed into a public library wearing a turban. The other thing was that certain pews in church were reserved for the English people. Mr Falls passed away while still a member of the college staff  - RIP. Mr Falls really had the staying power! Perhaps, he would have lived longer had he not hated so much!

No comments: